Last night during the terrible storm that swept through my neighborhood, a house not more than 200 yards from my own burned to the ground.
It was terrifying...almost like a scene from a movie. When I pulled into my neighborhood, you could barely see through all of the smoke that hung thick in the air, I was weaving in and out of fire trucks and news vans, and bits of embers and ash were falling from the sky. My neighbors were all outside huddled in groups, whispering quietly and watching a family's home slowly disappear beneath flames caused by a massive lightning strike. No one was hurt, and the fire was contained to the one house, but as I stood there in the dark watching those life-altering flames dance in the sky, my heart absolutely broke in two. My heart broke for everyone that was going to be affected by this disaster; where will they sleep tonight...what will they do tomorrow...how will their lives ever be the same?
I passed the house on the way to work this morning, and the scene was eerie. I saw a charred skeleton where a home used to be, smoke still drifting out of the ashes. I started crying right then and there, thinking that could have been my house, a friend's house, another family member's house... It made me think about how lucky I am to have a roof over my head, a warm bed to sleep in, and most importantly, a home to go home to. My heart goes out to that family. Please say a prayer today for these people. And also say a prayer of thanks for all that you have. It only takes a second for things to change.
No comments:
Post a Comment