Monday, March 2, 2009

What does THIS mean?!

My church, like every church, I'm sure, has an Ash Wednesday tradition. At the beginning of service, you get this piece of flash paper on which to write all of your sins. After receiving Communion, you are to take your sins and throw them into a pot of fire to "rid yourself of them." The flash paper is supposed to burn up, and, BAM, you're sin free. Sinful me walks up to the fire pot in silence, Cross of Ashes freshly drawn on my forehead, and I throw my sin paper into the flames, waiting for it to disintegrate. What are the odds that my paper, which is made to catch fire within 5 feet of flames, floats gingerly to the bottom of the pot without catching fire and burning away my sins?! Now, of course I can't cause a scene during the silent, meditative service, or reach my hand into the pot o'flames to retrieve my scroll of sins... This would only happen to me. Everyone else's sin papers caught fire immediately, some with a huge puff of smoke, and instantly burn away into the night. Not mine...I'm still full of sin, even after a sin-relinquishing church service before God and everybody.

I promise I'm a good kid. Please let me into Heaven...

No comments: