This is what my mom told me this weekend. I couldn't agree more.
Ever since I joined Junior League, I have been really involved with philanthropy throughout the community. I am helping chair my firm's philanthropic mission at work, and have gotten even more involved these past few months with JLA. Over the past couple weeks, I've taught foster children about healthy eating habits, toured Grady Hospital's ER, newborn special care unit and teen clinic, visited the Center for the Visually Impaired and the Genesis Homeless Shelter, and volunteered many hours at the Nearly New Shop. I have jam-packed my weeks and weekends full of this type of stuff, and while I should be exhausted and stressed out, I couldn't be happier. The feeling I get when volunteering my time, working and helping others and simply learning about what I difference I can make in our community is indescribable. I can't tell you how many times I've cried secretively behind my sunglasses or shirtsleeves when I do these things. I am touched by so many people, and the efforts of my peers who are right there with me, doing everything they can to help out too.
My mom and grandmother told me that they weren't really keen on me volunteering at Grady. It's too far away, and not in the best part of town. Grady also doesn't have the best reputation either, but after walking through the "preemie baby room" this weekend and seeing all of the teeny tiny babies and how much help they need, I, right then and there, with tears streaming down my face, decided that is what I want to do as my JLA Placement for 2009. It breaks my heart to see these little babies, some without parents and some with ones who cannot support them, be so frail and dependent on the nurses and volunteers. They need help feeding, changing teeny tiny diapers and just singing to the little incubated babies. I cannot wait to officially sign up and help out as much as I can.
It may seem like I am partial to the babies, and trust me, if I could sign up for every Placement offered, I would. Like my mom said, I truly want to change the world...
No comments:
Post a Comment