Saturday, March 22, 2008

Ben Franklin?!

That's what I like to call myself. I consider myself an inventor of sorts, but not how you may think. My friends and I use the phrase "I invented that!" to describe how we introduced society (or so we think) to a particular person/place/thing and inevitably made it popular. I thought I'd take some time to list out a few things that I, and those in my life as well, have "invented:"

-Corey Smith, a Southern Rock singer/song-writer who made his start outside of Athens, penning tunes about drinking, UGA football and the South. I listened to Corey before he made it big, playing his songs for my friends while they asked, "Who is this guy?" I remember when I'd see his acoustic set in a bar for free, and now I'm finding myself unable to get tickets to his sold-out shows. All I have to say about this one is "you're welcome!"

-Maroon 5. I cannot take sole credit for this one. My best friend MariClaire actually sprouted the lightbulb on this one. I remember trying to Google them and search for their songs on BearShare back in '02, but to no avail. MC saw them open for an opener at a Train concert 6 years ago, and "invented" them to me. We only had their homemade cd that was handed out at that concert to prove to our friends that they existed, and used to see them play twice a year in Athens. Now, their tickets run at least $50 and I'm sure they have no idea where Athens is on the map. Although I'm proud of them for their success, I remember the days where I would sing "Harder to Breathe" and no one would be able to sing along...

-The Nissan Murano. When I bought this car in February '05, you never saw them on the road. In fact, when we were at the dealer that day and the salesman suggested one, I had never heard of the car! I bought my 'jellybean' and introduced her to society, and now they're everywhere! Has anyone seen the '09 yet? It will be mine before long.

-Three Olive Vodka. Thanks to Ryan's cousin Catie in Pittsburgh, I am quite the bartending hit at parties now. With this delicious flavored vodka and different assortments of pineapple, grapefruit and orange juices, I mix up crazy concoctions named for that particular time of year. Elf Magic (Christmas), Cupid's Delight (Valentine's) or Shamrock Surprise (St. Pat's) are just some of the libations I have up my sleeve!

-My best friend Tracy claims she invented the "double clap." She says it goes with every musical beat, and she's right, except that of course it goes with every beat....it's universal rhythm!!! Just take any song ever, and clap along with it, doing 2 short claps, pause, then another short clap. It's the funniest thing. She'll be clapping along with a song, and be like, "I invented this back in high school!" That is just one of the many reasons why I love that girl.

-Going out for St. Patty's day last weekend, I had the great idea of bringing along some green food coloring to dye our drinks and food green, to celebrate the holiday even more. Upon seeing our green drinks, other patrons of the restaurant started requesting these green drinks, enough so that the bartenders had to borrow our food coloring until the requests piled up so much, they had to run out and buy their own! Green tongues and lips were quite prominent at Rio Grande that night, and it was all b/c of our group and our love for that Irish holiday!

-Freshman year at UGA, my broke friends and I used to steal food from our amazing dining halls. A few chicken fingers in a ziplock bag every now and then never hurt anyone. At pizza night at Snelling one evening, I had the genius idea to bring a trash bag in my purse to be sure to smuggle a few extra slices back to the dorms to consume later that night, after returning from the bars I'm sure. Upon my last trip to the counter, I asked the cafeteria worker for "the rest of that plate," which was honestly 6 pieces. He looked at me like I was crazy, and piled my tray high. At the table, my friends created an impenetrable circle around me so I could slyly slip the pizza into the trash bag and into my purse. The plan went off without a hitch, and we ran off into the night with our freshly "borrowed" slices, so excited about the midnight snack we'd all have later. After a night of downtown, we couldn't get home quick enough, the idea of latenight pizza stuck in our minds. To our dismay, however, the pizza was inedible when we got back to the dorms. Maybe if I hadn't have used the vanilla-scented trash bags my mom bought for me to make the room smell pleasant, the pizza would have tasted like pizza rather than cookies and tomato sauce. Worst invention ever. And my friends still tease me about it to this day.

-Speaking of food, and being teased by my friends, I am also the queen of leftovers. My best friend Jenny's boyfriend Mitch can agree with me here...sometimes I'll order a lot of food with the idea I'm going to take the majority of the food home as leftovers in mind. Rarely do you see me not walk out of a dining establishment without a doggie bag. That said, whenever out with friends, and we're boxing up my leftovers and taking care of the check, those said friends start with the teasing. "Here, Kim, I have a crumb left. Want to put it in your box?" "Kim, be sure to take home the parsley garnish and sugar packets...you don't want to be wasteful!" I've learned to ignore these teasings, as the joke's on them when I'm diving into my leftovers later that night and they're all stuck hungry with nothing to eat! Also, I think I could start a collection of the little sauce bowls I've "accidently" taken home from restaurants.

There's a ton more things I have on my resume of inventions, and I'm sure I'll add to this list. My mind is always creating...

No comments: